How do I find out information about a certain property?

The PVA offers a free basic property search that will help you find information about property ownership and assessed property value. If you are looking for more detailed information, you can purchase a Subscription Service for access to more detailed information such as transfer history, property photos, improvement characteristics, property class, and tax information. See our subscription service area for more information.

How do I pay my taxes?

The Sheriff’s Office is responsible for collecting property taxes. Please contact their office with any issues concerning your property tax bill.

How do I learn how much a certain property sold for?

The PVA’s Subscription Service allows you to view the transfer history for any property, when available, perform a Sales Search or view a list for Property Sales for a specific date range. Sales Search allows you to search by sale price and date range, acreage, year built, type of sale, neighborhood, limit to qualified sales and other features.

How do I know if I’m eligible to apply for an assessment exemption?

You can find out if you’re eligible for an exemption in the Exemptions section of this website. There you will find information on Homestead Exemption, Disability Exemptions, Exemptions for Religious and Non-Profit Groups.

How do I dispute my property assessment?

Each year, you can appeal your current property assessment. To learn more about how to appeal your assessment, visit Real Estate Appeals Process.

How do I fix incorrect information about my property?

Contact Us if the PVA has information about your property that is inaccurate to ensure it is corrected. Also, you may receive an assessment notice in the mail if your property’s assessment has changed.

How do I add, change or remove the name on my property or tax bill?

Although the County Sheriff’s Department is responsible for the collection of the tax bill, all name changes are made in the PVA office. If you wish to add, change or remove a name on your property record and/or tax bill, you must record an official document such as a deed or will with the appropriate office or submit a death certificate to the PVA.

How is an assessment made?

The County Property Valuation Administrator’s duties are to discover, list and value all properties within the county. Property not exempted from taxation is to be assessed for taxation at its fair cash value, estimated at the price it would bring at a fair voluntary sale. The PVA is charged with assessing all property equitably and accurately. Learn more by visiting Real Property Tax Information and Personal Property Tax Information pages.

Why did my assessment go up this year?

Your assessment is often based on what comparable homes are selling for in your neighborhood. Also, your property is usually only revalued once every four years. The increase reflects all four years’ worth of appreciation.

House Bill 44 was enacted to limit the increase of countywide tax revenue to 4% per year. This is a very complex formula that dictates only the tax rate, not the assessment value. Although, our office strives to keep up with the fair cash value of every home in our County, sometimes the reality is that market values have increased that much in your neighborhood. We would be happy to meet with you any time to discuss the sales and reasons behind your assessment.

Why does the person down the street with all the land have a lower value than mine?

The person down the street from you with acreage may have a lower value because they qualify for an Agricultural and Horticultural Exemption.

Property (usually defined as greater than 10 acres actively used for an agricultural or horticultural purpose) has a specific agricultural value and is not taxed the same as a residence. It is a tool designed to help farmers be able to afford their land. It would be infeasible for farmers and landowners to pay the tax on their full fair cash value.

If I purchase property after January 1st, when will I get a tax bill?

If you purchased property after January 1st of any tax year, you will not receive a tax bill in your name, until the following year. (in example: if you bought a house January 15, 2017, you will not receive a tax bill until October, 2018). Depending on when you purchased the property (normally prior to August 1), your name will appear as a c/o or not at all.

However, depending on your closing statement, you may be required to pay the tax bill in the previous owners’ name. This should be an adjustment of your closing costs and determined at the time of closing. Taxes will be based on the current year’s assessment value which may be different than your sales price.

What does the tax rate consist of?

The tax rate consists of a state tax rate, a county tax rate, a city tax rate (if applicable), a library tax rate, a health tax rate, an extension office rate, health rate, a fire district rate and a school district rate.

I moved in my house in February, why can’t get the homestead until next year?

Real Estate taxes are determined AS OF JANUARY 1st. You will not be eligible for the Homestead Exemption until you are in the property, as of January 1st.

I bought my house in April for less than the tax bill says. Why do I have to pay the higher amount?

Real Estate taxes are determined AS OF JANUARY 1st. Therefore, the value at that date is what our office has determined to be the value at the beginning of the tax year. Your real estate taxes may be adjusted for the purchase price the following tax year. However, you are responsible for paying the entire amount of the tax bill.

The neighbor next door gets a discount? Why don’t I?

Your neighbor may be getting a special exemption because they are elderly or disabled.

How much do you get off for the Homestead/Disability Exemption?

The Homestead/Disability Exemption for 2017 is $37,600 which comes off of your assessment every year for both county and city taxes.

Can I get the Homestead Exemption for Commercial Property?

You may get a Homestead/Disability Exemption for Commercial Property only if you own AND occupy the building (e.g. you live on the second floor of the commercial building). Learn more about the Homestead Exemption.

What determines the assessment of vehicles?

All automobiles, trucks, boats, boat trailers, motorcycles, aircraft, and recreational vehicles must be assessed as of January 1 of each year. Motor vehicles are generally taxed in the county of registration. If you have assessment questions regarding motor vehicles or boats, please contact the Motor Vehicle Department at 502-564-8338.

I do not agree with the value of my vehicle. How can I get it lowered?

The PVA may be able to lower the value of your vehicle if you have excessive mileage or damage. If you have assessment questions regarding your motor vehicle assessment, please contact the Motor Vehicle Department at 502-564-8338.

I have either sold a vehicle or moved out of state. What should I do now?

To remove your vehicle from the tax roll, you can supply the PVA with either:

  1. A copy of a bill of sale or
  2. A copy of the front & back of the KY title indicating you transferred the vehicle. If you moved out of state, you may provide the PVA with a copy of your new title, or a copy of your registration.
  3. Provide a letter from your insurance company (on their letterhead) stating the VIN # and the date you canceled the vehicle off of your policy.

My car went out of state. Why didn’t that state notify you?

Other states do not make Kentucky aware when a vehicle is transferred out-of-state.

Unfortunately, you have to contact both offices to ensure that the vehicle has been properly removed from one state and registered in another state.

Where did the assessed value on my tangible returns come from?

Your tangible property assessed value is based on the tangible return you filed with our office in May.